Monday, February 8, 2016

Madeline Grace: Forty-Four Weeks

I feel like I could write a novel this week.  We were obviously at a breaking point in the sleep department, so I devoured the book The Sleepeasy Solution (in about two sleepless nights' worth of time...and also along with about 7 other books in the past few weeks of insomnia...).  It's funny how it all worked out - I read a random blog post from a blogger who I rarely read, and rarely posts often anymore, about how she sleep trained her toddler for her birthday and it was life-changing.  As I read I was like OH YES JESUS WE NEED THIS.  So I downloaded the book, and as I said, I read it as fast as possible.  A lot of the information was review from other sleep books I've read, but this time I decided to try just a bit of timed crying, or as the book described it, frustration as you learned a new skill.  Honestly, you've been so cranky lately from the lack of sleep, it really didn't feel like I was allowing you to try any more than you do when I don't pick you up immediately (for the love), and when we tried it Friday night, you were asleep in under a half hour.  By yourself.  In your crib.  Not our bed.  Not my arms.  And I was downstairs and FREEEEEEEEEE.  And then, that was it.  The book suggested going in to wake you up to eat about an hour before you normally would so that you wouldn't get any mis-association of crying and relief, so I guessed as best as I could, because seriously, who knew what would happen any given night, and...that was it.  I got up at about 11:30 and 2:30, fed you, put you back in your crib, you fussed for a couple of minutes, and then I got to sleep in my own bed.  I mean, really, it was stupid easy.  I feel like a moron for not trying something sooner.  The second night was even more painless, and now there are glorious angels singing in the sky.  I will say that naps so far are a complete and total bust, but I just totally don't even care because DID YOU HEAR THAT WE ARE ALL SLEEPING AT NIGHT?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...