Friday, July 11, 2014

Pinterest Cookbook: Chicken edition


Back with a quickie edition of Pinterest Cookbook!  I wanted to get out of my comfort zone a few weeks ago, so I tried this Chicken Pot Pie from Kitchen Simplicity.  Not something I ever ate growing up (mostly because it has chicken in it...), but you know, trying to be healthy (and it has cheese in the name...).  I made it the first time in the height of asparagus season, which was great, until I realized what baby diapers smell like after their owners eat asparagus.  Not a mistake I'll be making again.  This time, I'm using corn, peas, carrots, broccoli, and who knows what else might be in my fridge.  It's the end of the 2-week meal planning cycle, which means clean out the fridge.



http://kitchensimplicity.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/cheesy-chicken-pot-pie-2.jpg
source

But.  But.  Most importantly. You guys, I baked chicken tonight.  I know, I can't believe it either.  The only thing I know how to do is put it in the crockpot in the morning on low with some chicken broth, and shred it 8 hours later.  I literally had to search "how to bake chicken" on Pinterest.  Thank goodness for Pinterest and this sweet woman's blog post.

Anyway, it's not like tonight's dinner snuck up on me.  In fact, it has been on the menu for two weeks.  And I've forgotten to put the chicken in the crockpot for two weeks.  But tomorrow is pizza night, and I'm certainly not one to stray from that carefully crafted family tradition, so tonight was go time, or all of my veggies were going to go bad.  Or have gone bad.  (20 ears of corn, even for $4, is a lot of corn.  Even for a birthday party.)  But this is my general approach to cooking...I like to call it the "oh, crap" approach.  Since we've been meal planning, I have been a lot better about needing to run to the store for that one missing ingredient, but that is not to say I am fully prepared each time.  In fact, as I type this, I remember that I used Bisquick last time, and I no longer have Bisquick.  Because "I could totally make my own."  So now I have to go Pinterest hunting for someone who is smarter at these things than I am....

As always, check my Recipe Winners pinboard for my favorites in my Pinterest Cookbook.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...