Friday, October 18, 2013

Pinterest Cookbook: Pumpkin Edition

I don't know about you, but I NEVER use cookbooks anymore.  There are a few tried-and-true recipes that are my go-tos, out of my mom's cookbook or Deceptively Delicious: Simple Secrets to Get Your Kids Eating Good Food (because my husband and I need to hide our veggies like children), but other than that, if I want to make something, I go straight to Pinterest.  I love that I can find a million different ways to make something, and I browse recipes until I find one that uses ingredients that match my staples and looks good in the pictures--so if you're a food blogger, pictures matter.  Well, if you're any kind of blogger and you want to get pinned or grow your audience, pictures matter, but that's another subject, and the reason I pretty much just blog for myself :)

Anyway, I thought it would be fun to post some of my favorite Pinterest recipes every so often, because we have definitely found some of our favorite meals and treats online.  You can follow along on my Recipe Winners Pinterest board for more of our favorites!

Since it's October, I'm definitely hopping on the pumpkin bandwagon!  If you've ever bought one of those GIANT cans of pumpkin, you know that it takes some creativity to finish it.  In this case, I was able to make three recipes out of one can.  All three recipes turned out GREAT, and Tommy pointed out that they were all a lot lighter than you'd expect with pumpkin, and none of them had an overly strong pumpkin flavor, so having three pumpkin treats in a row by no means burnt us out.

image source
The first thing I tried was Pumpkin Cornbread from Sweet Pea's Kitchen.  This actually fueled this whole pumpkin escapade in the first place.  I was looking for a cornbread recipe to go with the best chili ever (it deserves its own post, so I'll save it), and when I typed "cornbread" into Pinterest, this popped up and got my wheels spinning.  I made it as muffins, and substituted coconut oil for olive oil, and it was perfect!

image source
I was on a pumpkin kick that night, so I made White Chocolate Pumpkin Pie Cookies from Cookies & Cups next.  I was lazy, and I made like three kinds of frosting last week, so I didn't make the frosting, but they were plenty sweet without it!  I love me some frosting though, so I'll probably try it next time.  The white chocolate is perfect with the pumpkin, and they are moist without being overpowering.  Definitely keepers!

image source
Last but not least, I was even lazier and wanted to make dessert without scooping cookies, so I looked up pumpkin blondies.  I made pumpkin brownies a few years ago, and they were super rich, so I wanted something easy but lighter.  I found these White Chocolate Pumpkin Blondies from I Was Born to Cook, and since I had just used up all of my white chocolate chips, I subbed in dark chocolate chips--delicious!  Three for three!  The best part was I literally did not have to purchase a single ingredient for any of these recipes; I was able to find recipes that included ingredients I always keep in my pantry!  That is my kind of baking :)

On a totally unrelated note, the whole blog world is up in arms about Martha Stewart's disparaging remarks about blogger originality and expertise, and although there is so much repetition in the blog world trends (name a blogger who didn't create something chevron in the past two years), as I'm looking over these women's blogs, I see so much content and so many things I'd like to try and I'm reminded that there certainly are professional-level taste-makers out there (sorry, corny pun), and even if there are 20 different pumpkin blondie recipes available, I love that everyone has put their own spin on them and I can find one that suits me the best.  Sorry about the length of that sentence, and I'll get off my soapbox now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...