Monday, September 9, 2013

Move It Monday: Disneyland 5K Recap



So, I did it!  I ran the whole Disneyland 5K without stopping! Not such a huge deal, except that I've run approximately twice since I had Lilly Anne, for 1 - 1.5 miles each time.  I knew going into the run that I had to maintain a 16:00 pace, which I wasn't concerned about because that is easily doable walking, and I knew it was the "Family Fun Run" so hopefully the crazies wouldn't be there to intimidate me (although it turns out some people ran this, the 10K immediately after, and the 1/2 marathon the next day.  This is what I mean by the crazies).  My last 5K was an awesome experience, and I maintained a 10:00 pace the whole time, but I also knew I wouldn't be able to match that since my post-pregnancy runs have been around 12:00 miles, so I made a safe goal of finishing under 39 minutes, with an ideal goal of being between 33 and 36 minutes.  I came in somewhere around 35 (well, the clock said 36 something, but it took a while to hit the starting line, and my phone said 34 something but I didn't start it until I was actually able to start moving), with a just under 12:00 pace.  It felt so good to run the entire thing, but it was a new experience to be in such a crowd while I was trying to run.  I feel like weaving my way through the walkers (come on people, don't sign up for a "fun run" and then walk the ENTIRE thing) actually kept me pretty distracted for most of the race, but especially the first mile.  It was also cool to run through the parks and realize how far we actually walk every day we go, and fun to see the cast members and some characters cheering us on, along with the best cheering section ever.

These crazy kids were all up in preparation for their half marathon the next day.  Well, Tommy was up because Lilly was up, but he would have come to cheer me on anyway :)  I am impressed that I was able to see all of them plus my dad, because when we tried to wave at them the next day, none of them saw us.  Oh well, they knew we were there anyway, right?

Anyway, if you have a chance to do a Disney race, I would highly recommend it.  They provide so much entertainment along the course, the health and fitness expo was massive, and we got some sweet medals (ok, mine is plastic), and it was a great, if crowded, atmosphere all around!  Tommy is already talking about doing some wine and cheese marathon in Disneyworld someday.  I'll meet him at the wine and cheese!  I think we will go back again next year, but I am debating pushing it to the 10K.  I think I can get my act together in a year.  For now, we signed up for a local 5K and 1/2 marathon in November, and we are hoping to do one for our church and our college homecoming in October.  It might be the only time I run each month, but whatever!

Linking up with Ashley for Move It Monday!





1 comment:

  1. Way to go Mindy! I would love to do a Disney run someday, you made it sound even more worth it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...