Saturday, May 21, 2011

Pillows for Lazy People

A few weekends ago, I had the inspiration to sew something.  I hadn't been to JoAnn's in a while, and they had some adorable fabric on sale in their interior section, so I picked up a half-yard of four fabrics that I liked for new pillows.  I believe the fabric was 40 or 50 percent off, and each piece cost around $4.

Unfortunately, by the time I got home, my laziness kicked in and I just really didn't feel like cutting or measuring.  I took the fabric and wrapped it around the pillows I already have on the couch, and it was a pretty close fit.  I figured with a few longer seam allowances, I could probably make it work :)

I didn't want a total train wreck on my couch, though, so I decided I should at least iron my seams before sewing so there was some sort of straight line.  Tommy has our iron up in Stockton, so I pulled a Tim Gunn and made it work:


Next, I went upstairs to my trusty ancient sewing machine.  I believe my mom got this when she graduated high school.  Still works like a charm!


For my end seams, I just folded the selvage edges of the fabric (I think it was 45" wide) over because it was the easiest to see without measuring.  I lined the edge up with the edge of my foot, and stitched right down.


After I had the two end seams, I overlapped the edges, like an envelope, with the right sides together.  I left an overlap of about 3" (I actually had to do a little measuring here) so that the pillow covers could come on and off easily.  They ended up being a little long, so I will probably do a 4" overlap next time.


The last step was to sew each side of the overlapping envelope with the right sides together. I used a 5/8" guide.


I then turned the pillow right side out and slipped it over the pillow form.  Voila!


Sometime after the first cover, I ran into a pest problem:



Regardless of the distraction, I think it took me less than an hour to do all 4 and set them up on the couch (please disregard the wrinkled slipcover, I'm thinking of following Miss Mustard Seed's tutorials to make my own).


Hooray!  Quick, easy, and painless!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...